Share This Article
The architect is a profession that has never stopped being HOT and is always exciting and chosen by many young people. Because as social life is developing, people’s aesthetic needs for living and working spaces are also increasing. Architects will design drawings with beautiful, unique, and comfortable architectures to serve the material and spiritual life of people. To better understand this position as well as the recruitment requirements, let’s find out more details with CareerBuilder below!
1. Who is an architect?
Architect (Architect) is a person who has the role of ideation, planning design, ground design, interior space, and landscape… on the basis of providing architectural solutions for functions, aesthetics and technical measures for the works. Their purpose is to create an overall design with a new, beautiful and safe architecture in a particular area (residential area, industrial park, urban landscape,…).
In other words, an Architect is someone who has the ability to convert human needs into solutions related to premises, space, and construction techniques, ensuring to meet the needs of users as well as the needs of customers. Enjoy the human aesthetic of that architecture.
Thus, the architect will turn all human needs for places of residence, living, working, and playing… into 3D visualizations. After that, this design will be deployed by another unit, and the architect will be in charge of supervising the construction process, ensuring the implementation process is in accordance with the drawing data.
2. The most detailed architect job description
The architect’s main job is mainly to design drawings. However, in each different design field, there will be specific characteristics and requirements. Through particular requirements from the orders, the architect will begin to plan the work and create detailed drawings step by step. Accordingly, the architect’s work (depending on the field) is as follows:
– Survey the actual situation to know the current construction status related to the road system, electricity, and water network, population distribution,…
– Take photos, take notes, and meet with local people and related people to exchange ideas and find ideas.
– Outline the work plan and start the design: draw the plan, elevation, perspective,…
– Completing design documents and drawings and defending before authorities and investors,…
– Work is usually done in groups because of its vast and complex scale.
The architectural design of works
– Survey the field, plan work, conceptualize, draw prototypes, work directly with engineers and experts, complete design documents and protect stakeholders.
– After the work is approved and applied for construction, the architect needs to go to supervise the work, specifically to check whether the work is being constructed according to the data of the design or not.
– Chat, learn to understand the psychology, preferences, and needs of the homeowner, and find the most appropriate design direction.
– Design, select, arrange, and arrange the interior of the building, such as tables, chairs, cabinets, lights, wall decoration, ceiling, and floor, … so as to ensure synchronization and harmony, and beauty.
– A designed landscape, urban landscape, or technological landscape.
– Design, select and arrange the correct shapes into a harmonious whole, such as lake, sky, grass, overpass, etc.
– It is necessary to have an understanding of ecological knowledge to be able to design in accordance with the natural environment.
Coordinate with stakeholders to agree on design ideas
– The architect’s work needs to coordinate with related parties to verify the feasibility of the drawings, the homogeneity with the actual work, ensuring that there are no violations of regulations on planning and environment. . Accordingly, relevant parties include:
– Department of Law on City Planning, Environmental Protection, project implementation budget.
– Expert in measuring and consulting in the field of real estate.
– Construction engineers, contractors, construction managers,…
Direct project supervision
– Directly go to the site to monitor the quality of the work and construction progress.
– Coordinate with construction managers and contractors to check irregularly or periodically construction items, ensure standards as well as requirements on structure, materials,…
– Request to repair or rebuild if any mistakes or frauds are detected during the construction process.
– Coordinate with related parties to check and accept the works after completion.
Make reports, propose troubleshooting directions (if any)
– Make a report on the work progress, and evaluate the general situation and feasibility of the project to submit to the investor and customer.
– Assign specific requirements on the project to each department or related individuals.
– Adjust some factors affecting capital, raw materials, labor,…
– Presenting recommendations and solutions to overcome errors (if any) during construction and acceptance of works.
Some other related work
– Participate in the management and supervision of the construction process.
– Participate in meetings with stakeholders and customers; contribute ideas, and edit the design based on the standard agreement between the parties.
3. What qualities does a candidate need to have to become a good architect?
To become a good architect, you need to equip yourself with the following “baggage”:
Knowledge of the law
For the work of architects, understanding the laws and regulations related to infrastructure is extremely necessary. Accordingly, the Construction Law and construction regulations have a lot of influence on the architecture that you need to design. To avoid errors related to construction regulations that may cause you to have to redraw the design from scratch, architects must constantly update their legal knowledge.
The work of an architect requires artistry, ingenuity, and a little knowledge of mathematics. Because a design is completed and wants to be implemented in practice, it needs to be based on accurate measurement with appropriate ratios. Therefore, to pursue this career, you need to have a solid background in mathematics.
Architects have to constantly work with drawings, so it’s impossible not to know design. However, it should be noted that the design skills of an architect are entirely different from the design skills of a graphic designer. Besides aesthetics, you need to know how to harmonize the beauty and function of the building so that it is proper to reality.
Knowledge of fine arts
Having a background of art knowledge is a top condition for you to step into the career path of an architect. The architect’s aesthetic ability, as well as his understanding of fine arts, are shown through conceptual sketches. Moreover, to be able to complete a design, it is necessary to have harmonious coordination between the elements of color, texture, and layout. In addition, the ability to art is also a quality of each person. This job requires you to have a creative mind and good abstract thinking to realize ideas on drawings quickly.
Teamwork and communication skills
As an architect, you not only work with drawings or numbers but also have to interact directly with contractors, investors, local authorities, construction material suppliers, and workers. Construction,… Therefore, you need to learn presentation skills, communication as well as effective teamwork skills.
Proficient in the use of design software
In fact, the drafting of construction plans and ideas on the drawings of architects is usually done mainly with pen and paper. However, in the current “digital technology” era, you should also gradually become familiar with design software such as BIM, CAD,… This software will help you manipulate more conveniently; at the same time, they also allow you to store or share design drafts with stakeholders such as contractors and investors, …
4. Architect’s career opportunities
With the development of the economy, people’s living standards are also increasing. Today, many people not only stop at the need to eat well and dress well but also like to live in a modern, comfortable home with unique, strange, and impressive design. Therefore, the trend of looking for architects or companies and businesses with design and construction consulting services is very high. This makes the demand for recruiting architects also highly open. This is also an attractive job opportunity for architects in the future.
Currently, a bachelor of architecture after graduation can “apply” to many architectural positions such as interior design architect, construction architect, planning architect, and architectural consulting,… Besides, you can also apply to work at companies providing architectural design consulting services, real estate business units,… In addition, if you graduate with honors, you can even become a university lecturer at architecture schools.
5. Criteria for recruiting architect position
Currently, most the recruitment agencies for the position of architects require the following general criteria:
– Graduated from university or college with a major in architecture, construction, or related majors.
– Knowledge and proficient use of Microsoft applications, software, and design support tools such as AutoCAD, Photoshop, …
– Preference will be given to candidates who have at least 1-2 years of working experience in the same position.
– Having all the basic and necessary skills such as design skills, communication skills, presentation skills, teamwork, and good and creative taste,…
– Be careful, meticulous, flexible, and know how to improvise quickly at work.
– Good level of foreign language (English) is an advantage.
Hope the article of Architects Miami brings a lot of helpful information to you!